Thursday, February 08, 2007

REMEMBER THE SPARTANS



Every memorable figure in history has been able to think in the long-term, except King Leonidas of Sparta. So, why should you or I be any different? While working through the daily grind of pitching and writing, you need to have something with long-term potential.

Whether that is working towards an end goal (mine is to be able to be published in any publication that I want), or towards producing a larger piece, you should have a project that is six-months of five years out (whichever feels like a long time to you).

I mention all of this because I have begun working on a non-fiction book. I'm outlining and researching each day. At this point, it's as much an interest as a potential moneymaker. But more importantly it gives me, ironically, a bit more stability to my day. Structure isn't always such a bad thing.

And even though King Leonidas might not have known he was thinking ahead at the Battle of Thermapolylate, he was...because it turns out that his death and those of the other 299 Spartans will now be an awesome movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dig these posts.

Why don't you link to some of your work?

Determined Freelancer said...

Thanks for the compliment. By just being the determined freelancer, it gives me the freedom to discuss life as a freelancer without the concern over professional backlash.

OhMyHeart said...

haha ohhhkay 300 = Troy with an extra dash of creepiness.

But scheduling and structure totally make my day. I can never get any work done unless I know I have a limited amount of time to do it. :)