Thursday, February 22, 2007

DON'T BE A SPAZ


This morning I had a message from an editor thanking me for handing in an assignment on time and with clean copy. It was a fantastic start to the day. Positive feedback can be a rarity in a profession where no feedback and a quick paycheck are often the best rewards.

It also made me realize that most editors are just trying to meet their deadlines while maintaining a semblance of artistic vision. The moral here is- don't be a spaz. Turn your assignments in on time and sans spelling mistakes.

I think reliability might be as important as talent to editors when considering who to use for a project. So, that means you've got a shot with any publication if you can just pull it together. Also, try not to shave your head this week. I know it's tempting, but you look better with hair. And wigs are expensive and not tax-deductible.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm so with you. I always say I can attribute my success as a writer mostly to the fact that I turn in clean copy on time, and try not to be a pain in anyone's butt. There are plenty of talented writers out there, but it amazes me how few of them stick to their deadlines.

Margie said...

True dat!

I love getting positive feedback like that from editors--it makes me feel much better than those gold star stickers in elementary school did back in the day.