Monday, February 12, 2007

BEHOLD THE POWER OF NETWORKING



The value of a good network can never be underestimated. Please know that this is not a clever aside to the Verizon commercials which have plagued us for several years. I wouldn't do that to you, dear reader, without extensive corporate sponsorship.

No, the network I speak of is the entire sphere of people that you know- family, friends, business associates, that guy at a party, or people on LinkedIn. Everyone is a potential business contact. You're not selling AMWAY, you're selling your creative services which are unique and delightful. It's as if you turned cupcakes into delicious prose. Who doesn't love cupcakes? And by extension, your delightfully, hand-crafted writing.

You need to stop being shy about asking for help and embrace the power of networking. In the past six months, networking has offered me copywriting at a corporate rate, a paid position blogging, and opportunities to talk with half a dozen editors. I stopped worrying about asking for contacts because I know that I can deliver on my promises. Also, each of the initial meetings that I had were merely a formality, a meet-and-greet, it was through sheer wit and determination that I garnered assignments.

Tell everyone what you're doing. Send e-mails, launch a website. Create your own network. One without a jackass spokesperson. Opt for somebody more likeable- you.

No comments: