Thursday, March 29, 2007

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

Whether it's in front of Buckingham Palace or at a publishing company, the changing of the guard brings new personalities and a different guy you to deal with if you want to get in the front door.

Your editors are going to change if you write for a paper or magazine for longer than a year. It's a fact of the pbulishing world. The good news is that means an editor, who you have trouble working with, could be swapped out for an editor whom you love. And vice-versa.

The key is to introduce yourself properly to each new editor, find out about their background and what makes them happy.

After that, it should be smooth sailing, no matter whom you turn your copy in to....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just came across your blog for the first time, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Thanks for being candid on the day-to-day NYC way :-). I can identify.

Cheers,
The Editorialiste.

Kelley said...

That is great advice. My first magazine internship came with a nasty editor. Working with her was a nightmare and consequently I got nothing but a small paycheck out of the deal. Recently, I completed a great internship at ReadyMade Magazine and everyone was very nurturing and really appreciated my efforts. It was an unpaid gig but I came out of it more informed on the biz, with tons of clips and great contacts. If I had given up because of that first mean editor, I would have missed out on a ton of possibilities. It's definitely worth sticking it out and trying another editor or magazine environment if the first is bad.

By the way, I'm writing a new blog about the whole experience from interning to working odd jobs to pay bills to interviewing. Check it out and please tell our readers!

http://workerbeejobs.blogspot.com/

Dissertation help said...

Wow Impressive! Your blog is very informative. However, it is pretty hard task but your post and experience serve and teach me how to handle and make it more simple and manageable.Thanks for the tips… Best regards.